Thursday, May 22, 2014

Keep On Keeping On

Still plugging along, working on a bunch of things at once and hoping that it will all come together soon.  Truthfully, I have yet to fully finish a project on the except for the actual re-core of all the decks and cockpit and it's really starting to get to me.  I think in the next few weeks I'll be able to start checking off some of them though, so I have to just keep moving forward.

Over the past few days I've pushed ahead on a bunch of smaller projects that needed to be done, but I'd been putting them off for various reasons (some of them good).  I started by getting 2 coats of Interlux Perfection along the perimeter of the companionway and lazarette hatches when we had nice weather late last week.  Once that had cured, I flipped them over and put a coat of Brightside Polyurethane on the underside of each.  I don't see any point in using very expensive Interlux Perfection on hatch undersides that won't be seen very often and will not be subject to as much UV as the exposed decks would be.  

Because the Interlux Perfection needs several days (4-6) for the paint to fully harden, I set them aside but today I had a little time early this morning so I decided to tape up the companionway hatch and KiwiGrip it.  I decided against doing the hatches for now because I need to mark where to tape them off so it matches the rest of the cockpit.

Anyway, I marked off a 1 inch border around the hatch and taped it all up and cut in radii on the corners.  Once satisfied, I opened up the can of KiwiGrip and pulled the Saran wrap I had laid over the surface when I put it away last (to keep it from drying out).  Then I troweled a bunch on, spread it out and then rolled it around with the KiwiGrip textured roller.  Once it was all rolled out and looking uniform, I pulled the tape and called it done.  Easy, and it cleans up ridiculously fast with no nasty brain damaging smell

At lunch I spent about an hour sanding down more fairing compound that I applied to the scuppers and rudder post after the first coat of primer dried.  I find it hard to get the fairing fully done before I lay down a primer 'scratch coat' so I can see the imperfections better.  I think it is in good shape now and might not need any more fairing compound if I'm lucky.  I'll be up really early tomorrow priming these areas and if it's fair, I'll sand and do one more primer coat late in the afternoon.  If all that works out I could actually get final paint on this weekend.  We'll see....


  1. Great progress, love the rudder tube instal. I will be making the same type of modifications to my Alberg 30. I may email you for specifics if you don't mind. Keep up the good work

  2. Thanks for following the progress, I'm pretty happy with the rudder tube build, I spent a great deal of time agonizing over it, but looking back on it, it really went smoothly and I think is a better design than the original (and much better than the wheel arrangement/contraption). Feel free to get in touch if you need some help.