Tuesday, September 25, 2012

KiwiGrip Part Deux

I spent the better part of 4 hours taping and sanding the port fore deck and side decks to get ready for KiwiGrip round 2 today.  The taping took way longer than I thought, but I just didn't realize how long it would take to get all the deck fittings templated and radiused with tape.  The starboard side will be slightly quicker because I cut out cardboard templates to help trace the outlines of the fittings, but it still just takes time.  

Anyway, everything went according to plan today; I took a few hours off at lunch today once the temperature got to 60 and was able to paint the entire port foredeck and sidedeck in a little over an hour.  Once I pulled off the tape and managed to almost slip and fall onto the newly painted surface, I opened up all the doors and gable windows, turned a big fan on the deck (per KiwiGrip's recommendation to help remove the moisture) and went back to my real job.  After seeing how long the last batch took to dry, I was worried that the fan would suck in a bunch of leaves and mess everything up.  When I got home 4 hours later, I was ecstatic to find that the KiwiGrip had dried and was nice and hard.  Even better, there wasn't a single leaf or bug stuck in the paint.  

I have to order another gallon tomorrow and hope to get more done this weekend depending on the weather.  I'm pushing the weather window now so I have to jump on every warm, dry day and get things done.


  1. Nice work. Looks much better than the Interdeck that I used. More tooth.

    1. Thanks, it was a toss up between Interdeck and KiwiGrip, and chose KiwiGrip mainly because I wanted to hide some surface imperfections from recoring the decks. I think it worked pretty well.

  2. So much good information here, Matt! Can't wait until we're this far along!